Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM)
Create parts with real thermoplastics with top notch accuracy and consistency
- Print with the strength and durability of real engineering thermoplastics like ABS, PC, or Ultem.
- CNC-controlled extrusion provides high dimensional accuracy and unparalleled consistency among batches of parts.
- Soluble support material gives design freedom for undercuts and internal or complex part details. Assemblies can be built without the assembly.
- Variable honeycomb sparse fill gives full control of the weight and material consumption of a part without compromising strength.
- Ideal products include fixtures, stamping tools, mechanical prototypes, high accuracy and durability patterns, load bearing structures, form-fit-function models and small batch production.
- Check out our dyed color options.
Please note that these are are GUIDELINES, not hard and fast rules. Follow these and you should be in pretty good shape, but we'll let you know if we see any problems.
|Maximum part size||36 x 24 x 36*||914 x 609 x 914*|
|Expected Tolerance||+/- 0.2%**||+/- 0.2%**|
|Minimum Supported Wall Thickness||0.040||1.00|
|Minimum Unsupported Wall Thickness||0.020||0.50|
|Minimum Supported Bosses||0.040||1.00|
|Minimum Unsupported Bosses||0.020||0.50|
|Minimum Embossed Detail (Height and Width)||0.040||1.00|
|Minimum Engraved Detail (Height and Width)||0.040||1.00|
|Clearance Between Parts/Bodies||0.020||0.50|
*Build volume is up to 36 x 24 x 36 inches. Larger models can be made in sections and pieced together after printing.
**FDM tolerances are some of the highest 3DP tolerances for large parts due to geometric stability. Minimum tolerance is +/- 0.005 in.
Complete Materials List
For more complete FDM material data, please see the Stratasys data sheets below:
- ABS-M30 (Standard Fortus ABS)
- ABS-M30i (Medical Grade)
- ABSi (Translucent ABS)
- ABS-ESD7 (Static Dissipative)
- PA 12 (Nylon)
- PC (Polycarbonate)
- PC-ABS (Composite)
- PC-ISO (Medical Grade)
- PPSF/PPSU (Heat and Chemical Resistant)
- ULTEM 9085 (Strong and FST-Rated)
- ULTEM 1010 (Strong and FST-Rated)
This data is provided for the convenience of our customers. It does not on its own represent a sufficient basis for any part design, nor does it provide any agreement about or guarantee the specific properties of a product or part or the suitability of a product or part for a specific application. It is the
responsibility of the producer or customer of a part to check its properties as well as its suitability for a particular purpose. This also applies regarding the consideration of possible intellectual property rights as well as laws and regulations. The data are subject to change without notice.
NOTE FOR ENGINEERS: when using the data below, remember that FDM materials are NOT isotropic, they are ORTHOtropic. That is, they have different material properties in different directions.
|Property||Imperial (KSI)||Metric (MPa)|
|Elastic Modulus XZ Axis||320||2230|
|Elastic Modulus ZX Axis||310||2180|
|Ulitmate Tensile Strength XZ Axis||4.65||32|
|Ulitmate Tensile Strength ZX Axis||4.05||28|
|Yield Tensile Strength XZ Axis||4.55||31|
|Yield Tensile Strength ZX Axis||3.75||26|
|Flexural Modulus XZ Axis||300||2060|
|Flexural Modulus ZX Axis||250||1760|
|Elongation at Break XZ Axis||7%||7%|
|Elongation at Break ZX Axis||2%||2%|
|Elongation at Yield XZ Axis||2%||2%|
|Elongation at Yield ZX Axis||1%||1%|
|Izod impact notched XZ Axis||2.4 ft-lb/in^2||0.125 kJ/m^2|
|Izod impact un-notched XZ Axis||5.6 ft-lb/in^2||0.300 kJ/m^2|